About the branch
The Brightwood Branch opened in 1901 as the sixth public library in Indianapolis. It served the Brightwood community at several locations along Station Street, one street west of its current North Sherman Avenue storefront site which opened in 1972. A 1996 renovation at this location doubled the size of the branch to 5,400 square feet. In 2020, a brand-new branch building, across the street from the previous branch, was completed and re-named as the Martindale-Brightwood Branch.